I saw this meme on kottke.org (who saw it on River Damp), but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Go here and look through random quotes until you find five that you think reflect who you are or what you believe.
Here are mine:
- If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. (Rene Descartes)
- Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. (Abraham Lincoln)
- The secret of happiness is not in what one likes to do, but what in one has to do. (James M. Barrie)
- Last words are for people who haven’t said anything in life. (Karl Marx)
- Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get–only what you are expecting to give–which is everything. (Katharine Hepburn)
What are yours?
I LOVE making top five lists. You might be able to tell considering the main URL of this web site. Jake and I created a design company under the name topFIVEdesign because both of us love to make top 5 lists. I don’t know what it is, but I really enjoy it. Alli and I even made an entire book with our friends, Rich and Sarah, that contained a list of our favorite EVERYTHING.
Anyway, this is my list of top five stuff for the last year. Let me know what you think.
Top 5 Movies:
- King Kong
- Wedding Crashers
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
I have to have some special honorable mentions here. Proof, Elizabethtown, Walk the Line, Domino, Kingdom of Heaven, and Batman Begins.
Top 5 Albums:
- Iron & Wine | Calexico – In the Reins
- Imogen Heap – Speak For Yourself
- The Perishers – Let There Be Morning
- Coldplay – X&Y
- Liz Phair – Somebody’s Miracle
Top 5 Songs:
- He Lays in the Reins by Iron & Wine with Calexico
- Fix You by Coldplay
- You’re Beautiful by James Blunt
- Landed by Ben Folds
- Sugar, We’re Going Down by Fall Out Boy
Top 5 News Events:
- Hurricane Katrina & Rita
- London Bombings
- Death of Pope John Paul II
- Deep Throat Revealed
- Supreme Court Shakeup
Top 5 Biggest Movie Disappointments:
These movies were so disappointing that it they don’t even merit linking them to their listings. They just were either really, REALLY bad or did not even come close to living up to my expectations.
- Lord of War
- Fun With Dick and Jane
- Brokeback Mountain
- The Dukes of Hazzard
Top 5 Books
- Fletch Won by Gregory McDonald
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- My Legendary Girlfriend by Mike Gayle
- Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
- A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Top 5 TV Shows:
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Office
That’s all I can think of right now. Let me know what you think of my list and let me know if you have anything else that I should rank.
I wish that I had more time to read.
There are a lot of really good books out there, some I’ve read, others I have not. Currently, I’m reading Ogilvy on Advertising, a funny take on the world of advertising as told by one of the true pioneers and geniuses of the industry, David Ogilvy, a founder of one of the largest advertising companies in the world.
OK, so here is a list of my desert-island top 5 books:
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey
I get in reading moods. If I find a book that I like, I won’t stop reading until I’m done. I read The Da Vinci Code in 3 days, I read Angels & Demons in 4…good page-turning books. When I was a sophomore in college, my family took a trip to Europe and since I can’t sleep on planes, I read the whole time on the way over there. And on the train. And in our down time. And on the way back. By the time I returned to the U.S., I had finished 7 books. That’s right, SEVEN. We were gone for just over 2 weeks.
So I’m thankful for good books.
From time to time, I’m going to post my top 5 of random things as they come to me. I’m a big fan of lists in general and I thought I would pass along (in honor of the Halloween month) my top 5 favorite candies.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut M&Ms
- Starburst (or is it Starbursts?)
- Sweettarts Jelly Beans (these are a rarity…usually only coming out for Easter, but they are genius)