There’s a meme going around Facebook where you are supposed to list 15 films (from this point forward, I shall call them movies) that are significant to you, that you can watch over and over again, or that you just want to recommend to others…something like that. I guess it’s different than a top 15 list somehow, but I’m not sure.
Anyway, since my blog posts automagically import into my Facebook notes, thought it would be worth posting publicly.
Here are my 15 movies, in no particular order:
- Good Will Hunting
- The Matrix
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Dumb & Dumber
- Shakespeare in Love
- Almost Famous
- Reality Bites
- Moulin Rouge
- Fight Club
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Die Hard
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
What are yours?
So since I don’t have much to say, I’m stealing this fromÂ Average Jane. It’s a pretty fun little meme (as much as people hate them), but I think it’s decent. Basically, you have your standard list of things that may or may not appear on a bucket list. You bold the stuff you’ve done already and italicize the stuff you want to do.
- Started my own blog
- Slept under the stars
- Played in a band
- Visited Hawaii (in 2010 baby!)
- Watched a meteor shower.
- Given more than I can afford to charity.
- Been to Disneyland/Disney World
- Climbed a mountain
- Held a praying mantis
- Sung a solo
- Bungee jumped
- Visited Paris
- Watched a lightning storm at sea
- Taught myself an art from scratch (graphic design is an art, right?)
- Adopted a child
- Had food poisoning
- Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
- Grown my own vegetables
- Seen the Mona Lisa in France
- Slept on an overnight train (although sleeping is difficult when the air doesn’t work and you realize that you are constantly moving)
- Had a pillow fight
- Hitchhiked (long story…don’t ask)
- Taken a sick day when youâ€™re not ill
- Built a snow fort
- Held a lamb
- Gone skinny dipping
- Run a marathon
- Ridden in a gondola in Venice
- Seen a total eclipse
- Watched a sunrise or sunset
- Hit a home run
- Been on a cruise
- Seen Niagara Falls in person
- Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
- Seen an Amish community (went to college near one!)
- Taught myself a new language (I didn’t completely, but was complimented on more than one occasion during our trip to Italy on my Italian)
- Had enough money to be truly satisfied
- Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
- Gone rock climbing
- Seen Michelangeloâ€™s David (amazing)
- Sung karaoke
- Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
- Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
- Visited Africa
- Walked on a beach by moonlight
- Been transported in an ambulance
- Had my portrait painted
- Gone deep sea fishing
- Seen the Sistine Chapel in person (amazing)
- Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
- Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
- Kissed in the rain
- Played in the mud
- Gone to a drive-in theater
- Been in a movie
- Visited the Great Wall of China
- Started a business
- Taken a martial arts class (I’m pretty good with a bow staff…not really)
- Visited Russia
- Served at a soup kitchen
- Sold Girl Scout Cookies
- Gone whale watching
- Got flowers for no reason
- Donated blood
- Gone sky diving
- Visited a Nazi concentration camp
- Bounced a check
- Flown in a helicopter
- Saved a favorite childhood toy
- Visited the Lincoln Memorial
- Eaten caviar
- Pieced a quilt (not sure what this means, but I picked out the t-shirts for my t-shirt quilt)
- Stood in Times Square
- Toured the Everglades
- Been fired from a job
- Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
- Broken a bone
- Been on a speeding motorcycle
- Seen the Grand Canyon in person
- Published a book
- Visited the Vatican
- Bought a brand new car
- Walked in Jerusalem
- Had my picture in the newspaper
- Read the entire Bible
- Visited the White House
- Killed and prepared an animal for eating
- Had chickenpox
- Saved someoneâ€™s life
- Sat on a jury
- Met someone famous
- Joined a book club
- Lost a loved one
- Had a baby
- Seen the Alamo in person
- Swam in the Great Salt Lake
- Been involved in a law suit
- Owned a cell phone
- Been stung by a bee
- Ridden an elephant
So that’s 52 out of 100. There were a few more on there that I’d really like to do and some that I’d kind of like to do and some I just know that I’ll do someday, whether I want to or not. Still, that I’ve avoided breaking a bone for as long as I have, that’s gotta be an accomplishment.
So there’s this crazy note that’s been going around the Internet tubes and I’ve been tagged like 5 times on Facebook to do it. I’ll do my best not to propagate the meme (if only for Meesha’s sake), but I’ll do it here on the old blog and it will then go through the tubes automagically into my Facebook account. (Isn’t modern technology great?)
Now, where do I start?
- I’m willing to try anything once…especially when it comes to food.
- Each year, I am more excited to watch the Oscars than I am to watch the Super Bowl.
- My favorite Muppets are Waldorf and Statler.
- I think Ben Affleck gets a bad rap as an actor and is much more talented than people think.
- When I was growing up, the first profession I remember wanting to do was to be President of the United States.
- I am terrible at poker. But do not mess with me in any trivia-based game. Especially Scene It.
- My wife is my best friend. I don’t say that lightly because I have very good friends that I’ve known longer than her, but she understands me better than anyone else in the world.
- I hate mustard in all forms. I will choke it down to be polite, but avoid it if possible.
- I have competed in 7 different sports in my lifetime (soccer, baseball, basketball, volleyball, football, swimming, tennis). I play golf, but that’s something I picked up in college. The sports that I listed are all ones that I played against other teams.
- My favorite book of all-time is Catcher in the Rye.
- My favorite T-shirt is a volleyball camp shirt that I got at the Marv Dunphy Volleyball Camp at Pepperdine over 15 years ago.
- I like doing laundry. I enjoy the monotony of it…how I don’t really have to think about it.
- My friends and I used to play hide and seek at my buddy’s farm…well into our college years.
- It’s been years since I have not had facial hair of some sort.
- I absolutely loved working at the Pizza Shack. I became friends with my wife there.
- I am most comfortable in a T-shirt, jeans and flip flops.
- If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be cheeseburgers. Toasted bun, mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, monterey jack cheese, farm-raised ground beef, mayo, toasted bun.
- My immediate family is all musically inclined. I am not. Although I really wish I could play guitar. I don’t have the patience to learn.
- I am flipping awesome at self portrait photography.
- Winter is my favorite season. BY FAR. I love snow. We haven’t had nearly enough this year.
- I have sprained each of my ankles a half-dozen times each because of volleyball. Although my first ankle sprain ever (and the worst one by far) was incurred during a pickup basketball game at a birthday party.
- I hate wearing suits, but if I looked like Don Draper in a suit, I’d wear one every single day.
- My least favorite place in the world to be is a hospital.
- I took the LSAT but did not apply to any law schools. I would have gotten in to most of them based on my score.
- I want to design at least one typeface before I die.
What do you think?
For no reason whatsoever, I was reading blogebrity Jason Kottke’s About page and as is often the case when reading Kottke, I was struck with the idea for a post of sorts. Actually, it’s more of a meme of absolutes. The inspired passage went something like this:
I prefer red wine to white, movies to films, jeans to khakis, vanilla to chocolate, Pixar to Dreamworks, the subway to taxis, nonfiction to fiction, and Safari to Firefox.
And it got me thinking…when it comes down to the either/or questions, which do you prefer?
Vanilla or Chocolate? vanilla
Dogs or Cats? dogs
Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
The Beatles or The Rolling Stones? The Beatles
Microsoft or Apple? Apple
Nike or Adidas? Nike
Coffee or Tea? coffee
Spider-Man or Batman? Batman
Ketchup or Mustard? ketchup
Pen or Pencil? pencil
Soup or Salad? salad
Books or Magazines? magazines
Indiana Jones or James Bond? Indiana Jones
Summer or Winter? winter
New York City or Los Angeles? New York City
Google or Yahoo? Google
CNN or Fox News? CNN
Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune? Jeopardy
Mountains or Beach? mountains
Yoga or Pilates? yoga
Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars
The only rule is that you have to choose one. It may be close or you may not like either, but it’s my quiz…NOT YOURS. Copy and paste your responses on your blog if you are so inclined. Or just do so in the comments. It’s your preference, really.
Pass it around.