So, now that the year is coming to a close, I figured I would give you the status of my book project for last year. I reached my goal of reading 25 books in 2006 (just barely), but I didn’t complete all the ones that I set out to read a year ago. I got to most of them (most significantly, all 6 Harry Potter books), but I didn’t complete 5 on the list. Those were supplemented with 5 others.
So here’s my list in all its glory. I had a great time reading all the books (still will have a review on Skylar in Yankeeland) and I’m quite proud of accomplishing my goal, considering how busy I have felt this whole year. You can see where I really had lapses in pace that slowed me down (DWWS, particularly), but overall, I’m pretty happy with the project.
- A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby – FINISHED 27 DEC 2005
- How to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young – FINISHED 6 JAN 2006
- Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy – FINISHED 24 FEB 2006
- Silent Bob Speaks by Kevin Smith – FINISHED 11 JAN 2006
- The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova – FINISHED 29 JAN 2006
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini – FINISHED 20 JULY 2006
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED (BY LISTENING) 5 FEB 2006
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED 8 FEB 2006
- Son of Fletch by Gregory McDonald – FINISHED 16 NOV 2006
- Fletch Reflected by Gregory McDonald – FINISHED 28 NOV 2006
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell – FINISHED 23 MARCH 2006
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED 13 FEB 2006
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED 4 APR 2006
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom – FINISHED 24 JUNE 2006
- Dinner for Two by Mike Gayle – FINISHED 5 JULY 2006
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED 25 APR 2006
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling – FINISHED 4 MAY 2006
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac – FINISHED 9 AUG 2006
- Skylar in Yankeeland by Gregory McDonald – FINISHED 27 DEC 2006
- Alli’s Choice – Since Alli and I are both doing reading lists this year, we agreed to each read a book that the other chose. We haven’t yet chosen for each other, but this is a placeholder for when we do. Alli picked 52 Projects by Jeffrey Yamaguchi, which I finished on October 22, 2006.
- Creepers by David Morrell – FINISHED 28 FEB 2006
- Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln – FINISHED 15 JUN 2006
- Radical Careering by Sally Hogshead – FINISHED 7 JULY 2006
- Designing with Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman – FINISHED 18 OCT 2006
- The Cheese Monkeys by Chip Kidd – FINISHED 8 NOV 2006
Books I Meant to Read this year, but didn’t get to:
- Sacred Marriage by Gary L. Thomas
- Songbook by Nick Hornby
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- The Power of the Praying Husband by Stormie Omartian
- Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella
So this is my final list. I’m pretty proud of it. I just reached my goal of 25 books, but I missed some that I didn’t get to. Obviously those will be on my list for next year (which will hopefully come out soon…I’ve already got a few that I got for Christmas that I’m intending to read). I’m hoping to read 25 again this year, but who knows what 2007 will bring.
I’ve got some planned already, but would welcome suggestions. Put your suggestions in the comments and hopefully I will have a final intended list sometime soon.